Saturday, December 5, 2009

What are the odds of this actually working?

I read on a pigeon website that somebody got a fertile egg from a someone (by mail) it worked and the bird is now full grown. My friend in L.A. has 2 pigeons(they're NOT breeding right now), L.A. is about 4 to 5 hour drive from where I live... but...I wonder if I'd get the same results if we tried the same thing?





(The package was sent 1200 miles away from the sender's home, and L.A. is 200+ miles away from Vegas)


So...ya think it could work or should I just wait to pick up the egg on my next trip to L.A.?





(I might be going back down there sometime in June but I'm not quite sure just yet.) I've also done my research on incubation and hand raising got a few basic supplies on hand, already.What are the odds of this actually working?
I'd say go with it. If you were worried about the safety of the embryos, I'd drive the eggs myself. Another alternative is to fed ex them. It's more expensive, but it can be an alternate way of bringing 'baby' home. Chicken eggs are often mailed, but the eggs tend to have a high mortality rate when shipped in this manner.





From conversations we've had in the past, I'd say you know what you're doing and have done the research involved. You ask well educated questions, which is more than I can say about most bird owners!





Good luck! :-)What are the odds of this actually working?
I repeat myself again,


My advice is unless your parents know about this plan, DON'T DO IT!





Less than a month and a half ago you were asking how to raise a bird without your parents knowing.


That tells me that you don't have the health and welfare in mind for this bird. You can't take care of one properly without them knowing.


IF YOUR PARENTS DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE EGGS, DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!





You still would need a PROPER incubator, not a LAMP! The egg would need proper humidity, temprature and to be turned every TWO HOURS, this includes AT NIGHT.


The chicks may need vet care, which you would not get if you are hiding them from your parents!





DO NOT DO IT!!!!!
I have hatched several batches of hens from refridgerated fertilised eggs. As long as the eggs are indeed fertile, are not subject to extremes of temperature and they are not broken in transit they actually travel very well. Its the hatching them out that is difficult. Give it a try. It is a lot of fun :) Good luck.
  • >windows update
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    virus protection