Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Suggestions for this work situation please?

Okay, this issue is about 'not enough work' :-). I am new to the company. Been a month here. I have these pockets of time where I hv nothing to do. I have asked several times about getting more responsibilities %26amp; now I am afraid I feel like I am bothering them? They entrust me with an ongoing extra task which I finish quickly, and then I am left with no work again. All the extra tasks that I am given, I finish it quick. My boss mentioned they want to give me more work, but so far, nothing yet. So how should I be handling this situation? Just keep killing time and wait for them to give me more to do, or keep reminding them politely at the risk of being a nag? What would you do? Thanks in advance...Suggestions for this work situation please?
I would start seeing if there were things that could be made more efficient or something like that. Or if you see one person who's swamped, offer to help. I would stop the general ';Please give me soemthing to do'; it will become nagging.Suggestions for this work situation please?
Hey there,


Maybe try taking longer over the tasks you do get?


Or alternatively level with them, let them know they're paying you to do nothing!- Express that you're finding yourself having to 'kill time' where you should be kept busy.


Is an awkward situation, with no quick solution, but i would have thought showing you're a quick worker and keen to do more is a good thing?


Good luck x
Sounds like a great job, I wish I had that! I can't think of any job where I ever got paid to do nothing, except on the rare occasion when all systems were broken or we were in ';training';.





I say, take advantage of it and get familiar with the other employees. Network, and offer to take up some training to do other tasks.





You can learn how to use all the different machines and programs in the office, learn the company handbook, and make yourself more useful. Then you'll be there when they need to promote someone.





good luck.
My daughter has a similiar situation at her job. She's learned that some jobs out there in the real world aren't like school, where you're constantly busy and feel guilty if you're not working all the time.


There is down time in an office environment. As you continue on, and everyone sees the kind of work you do, the work will increase. There's nothing wrong with asking for more work, but if you ';feel like you are bothering them';, sit back just a little and don't be a nag. They aren't there to pacify you, they're there to get work/assignments completed. You don't want to be annoying.





Perhaps on Tuesdays you could step into your boss's office and remind him/her that you'll have time to take on any extra tasks they might have for you, and are very willing to do so. After that, though, you shouldn't bug your co-workers. If the job is too unsatisfying for you, you may want to look for something more challenging after you get a few months under your belt so you will have a reference for your resume.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection