Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My simpletech harddrive works on my pc but with my mac it reads as a read only? How do I fix this?

Im not going to be using my PC anymore and I want to be able to delete and add things to my external hardrive with my macMy simpletech harddrive works on my pc but with my mac it reads as a read only? How do I fix this?
On the PC, check if the hard drive is NTFS-formatted. Macs have full read and write support for FAT32 drives, but lack that support out-of-the-box for NTFS (something to do with licensing, I think), meaning that your main options are either installing support for it on the Mac 鈥?I've linked below to an article that mentions a couple of different ways 鈥?or reformatting the drive to use the FAT32 file system. Hope that helps!





(To petom0: FAT32 is actually also a DOS/Windows file system, widely used prior to NTFS. Macs use the HFS+ file system, but can read and write FAT32 volumes as well.)My simpletech harddrive works on my pc but with my mac it reads as a read only? How do I fix this?
You are probably going to need to reformat it to be able to put things from your mac on it. You see normal harddrives (Windows) have NTFS format and mac's have FAT32 format. So try plugging it in and then ejecting it, your mac should still recognize the harddrive and you should be able to format it to FAT32

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
virus protection